The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program was introduced in 2012.  It is an executive action by President Obama that authorizes the U.S. government to grant legal status to certain immigrants who came illegally to the United States as children.  The legal status obtained through DACA lasts only 2 years, but it can be renewed. DACA is not a path to citizenship or a permanent solution, but it is an authorization granted by the U.S. government to legally reside and work in the U.S.  Individuals benefiting from DACA cannot leave the Unites States without receiving advance parole.

There are certain eligibility requirements to consider before applying for DACA.  A person may be eligible to apply for DACA if he/she:

  • Had not yet reached his/her 31st birthday by June 15, 2012;
  • Came to the United States before he/she turned 16 years old;
  • Has continuously resided in the U.S. since June 15, 2007;
  • Was present in the United States on June 15, 2012 and remains present during the submission of the request for DACA;
  • Entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or his/her lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012;
  • Is currently in school, has graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, has obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or is an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
  • Has not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and does not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.

More detailed information about DACA can be found at the following link:

Should you have any questions or if you would like to schedule a consultation, please contact me by submitting the form or by calling me at (248) 900-3399.  I accept clients from across the U.S. and around the world.  My law office is conveniently located in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan for in-person meetings.  For phone consultation, you can reach me from any part of the United States or abroad.