Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Ukraine

The Secretary of Homeland Security has the power to assign TPS status to a foreign country if the country’s nationals are temporarily unable to return home safely or if the country cannot adequately manage the return of its nationals. USCIS can grant TPS to eligible citizens of specific countries or regions who are already in the United States. Eligible individuals who do not have a nationality but have resided in the designated country may also be granted TPS.

The Secretary may assign TPS status to a country experiencing temporary conditions such as ongoing armed conflict or environmental disasters like earthquakes, hurricanes, or epidemics. During the designated period, TPS beneficiaries or individuals found preliminarily eligible for TPS upon initial review of their cases are not removable from the United States, can receive an employment authorization document (EAD), and may be granted travel authorization. Additionally, once granted TPS, DHS cannot detain an individual based on their immigration status in the United States.

It is important to note that TPS is a temporary benefit that does not lead to lawful permanent resident status or any other immigration status. However, registering for TPS does not prevent individuals from applying for nonimmigrant status, filing for adjustment of status based on an immigrant petition, or applying for any other immigration benefit or protection for which they may be eligible. It is crucial to meet all eligibility requirements for any other immigration benefit. An application for TPS does not affect an application for asylum or any other immigration benefit, and vice versa. Denial of an application for asylum or any other immigration benefit does not affect the ability to register for TPS. However, the grounds for denial of that application may also lead to the denial of TPS.

If you’re seeking TPS Ukraine, you can complete and submit an Application for Temporary Protected Status (Form I-821) online. Additionally, when submitting your initial TPS application, you can request an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) by completing and submitting Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization) online along with Form I-821.

If you currently hold TPS under Ukraine’s designation and wish to maintain it, you must complete the re-registration process within the 60 days from Aug. 21, 2023, to Oct. 20, 2023. It is advisable to register promptly within the specified period. If you are seeking Temporary Protected Status (TPS) under Ukraine’s designation, effective Oct. 20, 2023, you must register during the registration period from Aug. 21, 2023, to April 19, 2025. It is also recommended that you register as soon as possible within the registration period.

Should you have any questions or if you would like to schedule a consultation, please contact me by submitting the form or by calling me at (248) 900-3399.  I accept clients from across the U.S. and around the world.  My law office is conveniently located in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan for in-person meetings.  For phone consultation, you can reach me from any part of the United States or abroad.